Sunday, January 4, 2009

Relentless

After a few weeks of uncharacteristically accurate weather forecasts, the northwest meteorologists have returned to usual form. We returned home from California on December 31. The temperatures were predicted to warm, bringing rain. We woke on January 2 to 5 inches of new snow on the ground. This was completely unforeseen. But since that was Friday and forecasts persisted in their warming and rain predictions (complete with flood alerts) I didn't worry...

It's snowing right now.

Tomorrow was to be the kids' first day back at school after their 2 week break was extended to 3 by the snowstorm in the middle of December.

I didn't realize how much I was counting on tomorrow until the prospect that the schools might close started to look serious. I realize now that what equanimity I've had through this period was based on them returning to school, and the return of my quiet time.

If they close the schools tomorrow I may do as David Sedaris's mother did in his childhood: throw the kids out in the snow and lock the doors and sit drinking, stonily oblivious to their cries.

My guys are nearly hysterical at the prospect of another day (or two, three, woo hoo) off. Eternal vacation.

Me, I'm pretty bummed out.

6 comments:

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Mrs Sedaris sounds very wise.

I hope the skies clear soon and you get your time.

It's so hard when you know you can just barely make it to the finish line and then someone moves it a mile down the road.

In your case, they also moved the starting line :-(

Aunt Becky said...

You poor thing. Seriously, Ben went back to school today and I've never been so happy to see the backside of him. Love that child, LOVE that child, but I also love it when he goes to school.

Wordgirl said...

OH NO.

I hope you got some quiet time -- I literally sighed a giant sigh when I got to sit ALONE with the computer this morning after a full week of W & G home from school and work respectively -- that is usually fun and filled with some kind of activity but this year it was far too cold...upshot?

I was entirely ready for some quiet.

I hope you got some yourself!

Pam

Ailey said...

Oh dear friend, my condolensces on your loss of competent weather forecasters. We got that weather exactly as they predicted--a lot of snow which all melted overnite as the temps rose. I hope your temps rise soon and you are fortunate to see the backsides of your two precious ones as they head back to where they belong on a gray January Monday-Friday...(school- dammit!) Because, honestly, I don't think you have it in you to follow in the footsteps of Mrs Sedaris' sanity saving wisdom.;) although desperate times call for desperate measures...

Hang in there friend--Hugs

excavator said...

To the consternation of my sons and my deep relief, the temperatures warmed and melted enough of the snow that the the schools could run!

Glory Hallelujah.

Now the trauma has to heal ;]

Thanks for the smiles you all gave me when the outcome was in doubt!

Veronica D said...

Lovedd reading this thank you